Sunday, September 12, 2010

Conformist

Last night was another one of those nights. A night where I thought to myself "If I change_____ about me and liked _____, maybe this person will want to talk to me again." And then I realized. . . I've been doing that my entire life. I have no real opinions when it comes to movies, music, books, or anything in life.


For as long as I remember, I have liked and disliked different things to be like my friends. In 8th grade, I liked Fall Out Boy because everyone in my class was going crazy over their new album. As a Freshman, I forced myself to like hardcore and screamo music because my close guy friends liked it, and I wanted to be liked by them. I listen to pop music all of the time so I can sing along with my friends. I read the Twilight Saga because my friends were, and I fell in love with Edward because my friends did. Then, I began to dislike Twilight because everyone else did when the movies came out, when truthfully, I really loved the story. I tried to learn how to play guitar, only because I thought it'd help me connect with Corban, when in reality, I knew my fingers would never be able to bend right to play anything. I disliked Avatar, because a college student I knew didn't like it, and made fun of it. I went to Running Start because my friends did, I actually wanted to stay at my high school and be a normal kid.


And here's the sad part: everything I just listed is only the first page in the book of things that I have done to conform. I won't lie. I've even denied God, more times than I can count. That's something I did in middle school, but it is something I regret more than anything. To deny God, is to deny yourself. He made us. He IS our Creator, and as the Creation, I shouldn't be denying that I love Him. That's not love, is it?


Guess what? Last night I made my feelings "Facebook Official." So everyone knows that I am DONE conforming to who I think I should be. And I'm going to start living as the person I AM.
"I am no longer going to allow my opinions be affected by the opinions of others. Too long have I been afraid of not liking what everyone else liked, and not hating what they hated. I am my own person, and I'm going to feel what I want to feel." - Me 9/10/10
Well there it is. My official quote. Maybe that quote will go down in history books, because I'm going to start a revolution of non-conformists. Haha. Just kidding, I'm not that cool. But I am going to start a revolution in my own life. I am going to stop changing my opinions to be like everyone else. I am my own person.


Hi. My name is Michaela, and I like the following things:

  • God. The Bible. And my church.
  • Taco Bell. Bean burritos with no onions, and extra red sauce. 
  • Fantasy and Sci-fi[ish] books.
  • Playing the piano.
  • My schools. Both of them.
  • Photography.
  • Harry Potter and Twilight.
  • Skirts and cute dresses with my TOMS.
  • Skinny jeans and band T's with my high tops.
  • A wide range of music:
    • Skillet
    • Cute Is What We Aim For
    • Escape the Fate
    • Ingrid Michaelson
    • Boys Like Girls
    • Hawk Nelson
    • Alesana
    • Paramore
    • Relient K
    • Silverstein
    • All Time Low
    • and Daft Punk
  • And I really like not hiding anything anymore.
-A False Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment